What do sophisticated investors expect of directors when it comes to financial analysis of their own companies? In this seminar, an experienced equity portfolio manager and CIO will cover the basics of “accounting for value” and financial analysis that all directors in Japan should know, including:
• Challenges faced using the accounting information produced by listed Japanese companies
• Cash Flow vs Accrual Accounting and how each relates to performance and valuation
• The limitations of traditional measures of performance, value and returns such as sales growth, operating margins, PER, PBR, ROE, etc.
• Key financial metrics that investors and independent directors should use to evaluate business performance
• How to reformulate your company’s financial statements for purposes of investment and valuation
• How to use analysis to drive and support decision-making
There will be simple case studies, and time allotted to Q&A. For maximum benefit, participants may wish to read “Accounting for Value” by Stephen Penman, either before or after the course. Our speaker will be Campbell Gunn, the former country head of T. Rowe Price in Japan. Mr. Gunn is a fund manager with 30 years of broad experience in Japan equity portfolio management, during which time his teams generated returns that were consistently superior to market indices. Currently he advises PacificData, a leading provider of analytical systems and integrated financial information on Japanese companies.
Please sign up early, as we expect this to be a well-attended event. (Use the link below.)
Date and time: Thursday, 10th of May, 2018, at 13:30 – 16:30 (doors open at 13:00)
Place: Seminar room of Tanabe & Partners
Address: 9th Floor, Shin-Nisseki Building, 3-4-2, Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Charge: BDTI Participating Member 3,000 yen Non-member 5,000 yen
Maximum capacity: 20 participants
Consultant of PacificData Co. Ltd; Managing Director, Asia of Iconic Images Limited
Former country head of T. Rowe Price in Japan
Mr. Campbell Gunn has over 30 years’ investment management experience mostly involving Japanese equities. Until 2013 he served as the head of T. Rowe Price in Japan. He has also worked for Dresdner RCM, Goldman Sachs Asset Management and Kleinwort Benson in London, Hong Kong, Geneva and Tokyo. He is currently acts as an Advisor to PacificData and is a Director of PD Analytics, Singapore and Iconic Images Limited, Ireland.